Wednesday, May 25, 2011

San Diego, California - Lunch, Dinner, and Drinks

Osteria Panevino  722 Fifth Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101, 619.595.7959


I never expected to find this gem of Tuscan Italian Cuisine in the heart of the Gaslamp District. The staff was very welcoming and allowed us to bring in our own special dessert and cake topper, and made us right at home. The appetizers seem a little pricey for the size of the food that comes out, but are packed with flavor and worth the money. We started out with the cheese and meat board combo, which was not only a conversation piece as we ate, but created a family style feel. While most of us started with wine, my friend Jen had an amazing alcoholic Black Cherry spritzer that we all highly recommend.



A few of the entree favorites at our table was the Lasagna Bolognese (which sound typical for an Italian place, but this was no Olive Garden grade Lasagna!), the Malfatti al Funghetto, and I wish I could remember the name of the dish that my old college roommate Kara had. Her family is Italian. I've been to Thanksgiving with them in Jersey and will vouch that she has an Uncle Gianni, but the dish she had she said was a good as grandma used to make it. High praise, because like I said, I've had her family's cooking! I had the Linguine Allo Scoglio (Pictured), which was very good if you're a seafood fan - the shrimp had an amazing freshness and were firm, and it was chock full of clams, mussels, and calamari. Would I come back specifically for this dish in the future? Not until I'd sampled the whole menu - there are way too many other handmade goodies to try. Would I highly encourage others to come experience this restaurant with or without me? Absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment