Thursday, June 16, 2011

Scottsdale, Arizona

Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles 2765 North Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85257, 480.945.1920

I heard of Lo-Lo's late one night when I woke up on my couch (sometimes I fall asleep watching the food network, laptop still on my lap, and often transition to my bed around 1 or 2 am). Channel 3 had a show playing on local restaurants where they were talking about their chicken and waffle experience. I first thought it an unappetizing combination; however, Lo-Lo's has been in business since 2002 and has two Arizona locations which means people like it enough to keep them in business! That night, I decided to put my prejudice aside, and be curious enough to give it a go! Almost by fate, my laser hair removal place was in the same corner of the intersection and I decided it might be time to try some soul food.


The origin of combining chicken and waffles is unknown, however, it is viewed as a southern based soul food. Walking into the restaurant, you are struck by the condiment colors of mustard yellow and ketchup red mixed with sheet metal siding and wash bucket light fixtures.  Individually, the items at Lo-Lo's are tasty, I had the "Betty Boop" which is a fried breast chicken and a waffle. In fact I did laugh a little when I was reading the menu because the 10 items on the menu are different combinations and amounts of chicken parts with a waffle! The chicken breast was lightly fried and breaded, and the meat was moist and perfectly cooked. The waffle wasn't something you couldn't make at home, but the combination of the two items in the same bite balance each other in a way I wouldn't have imagined. The meatiness of the chicken makes a sometimes overly sweet waffle into a savory meal. Was this an amazing dish that I'll crave and drive half an hour just to have? Not in the way I do for other dishes, but I might just make it a monthly stop before my appointment, and it was fun to experience a unique combination that was surprisingly delicious together. I would absolutely recommend trying this out some lunch time!


No comments:

Post a Comment